Saturday, July 07, 2007

John Piper and Joel Osteen

Last week in community group I was directed to a couple of youtube.com links that I really wanted to share.

The first is on Joel Osteen, who myself watched on TV one Sunday morning while home sick. While watching I couldn't get past the perfect teeth, the perfect coiffed hair, the elaborate delivery. In my mind, if he was trying to sell me a car, I would have been very skeptical. But instead he is sellling Jesus, and if you don't know your Bible it is easy to get sucked in by the pizzazz of the show he puts on. But he is selling a false gospel, known as the prosperity gospel...in other words, Christians are not supposed to be sick or suffer or have bad things happen to them. The are supposed to be rich and drive Mercedes and retire early. But I ask you, where does it say that in the Bible? Watch and see for yourself...

Joel Osteen Said What?

The prosperity gospel sells...think about how many books O'Steen has sold, how many "Prayer of Jabez" books Bruce Wilkinson sold, how many people go and see Benny Hinn.

Now here is John Piper's commentary on the prosperity gospel, given to a speech at UCF in Birmingham.

John Piper on the prosperity gospel

Tell me if you feel convicted...

3 comments:

bebe1216 said...

Oh my gosh! My roommate just made me watch the awful Joel Osteen program and I could not agree with you more!!! That's not religion, that's lying to yourself! So I think I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning and tell myself I'm a 5'8 super model and it will come true, right? WRONG!!

Unknown said...

actually it's more about believing that you deserve good things and to be living a life that is full of faith for good things. God knows the desires of your heart, the pure ones. If church ppl didnt have money then the gospel could not be spread. of course bad things happen to good people, but expecting those things to happen will only lead to a frustrated lifestyle. Pastor Osteen preaches the power of faith, dreaming, expecting good things in your life. Are you going to preach about expecting death, frustration, and limiting your expectation and potential for your life?

The Motor Moron said...

Taylor- faith is not about "things"...faith is about believing that Christ died for your sins. No where in the Bible are we promised health, wealth, or "things". Instead, we are promised suffering, pain, and yes, death will come for us. Osteen sells a lot, but I am not buying what he is selling. Check out John Piper for more at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRue4nwJaA